Even though I am a student in engineering, that does not mean that it is just all maths and science and there is no need to focus on my language at all. There are always lab reports, theses and assignments to write, all which require a good command of the English language if I wish to get a good grade for them. So far, I do not have a lot of writing to do as this is just my first semester in NUS. However, back in my polytechnic days in Chemical Engineering, writing lab reports is the norm. Some problems I faced back then, and even now when I am writing essays for EG1471, are grammar mistakes, poor vocabulary and a lack of ideas.
The reason for the first two difficulties is simply because I have stopped learning English since secondary school. Although reports only need to be in the past tense, it is still difficult as there are many types of past tenses, and often there are times when I unintentionally write in the present tense instead. Worse still is my lack of good vocabulary, which severely hinders me, especially when I have to write a long report or essay. This causes me to repeat the same words, making my essays and reports look dull. Not just in writing, but I also face this problem in understanding lecture notes and textbooks when they use tough vocabulary in descriptions or definitions. Poor grammar can only be improved through more practice, but thankfully for vocabulary problems I can always refer to dictionaries and thesauruses (even now, while writing this article). Actually, by doing so, I am improving my vocabulary.
As for lack of ideas, this is a problem I face since my secondary school days, especially in writing conclusions which is my main weakness. Given enough time and references I can think of great ideas for writing, but normally those two is not available in English exams. Right now I am trying to resolve this difficulty by reading more news articles. Hopefully, doing so will help me for both providing references and ideas.
Although it has been a long time since my last English class in secondary school, I still read English novels frequently which helps in maintaining my English language standard. Of course, it is not enough just to read, frequently writing is also necessary if I want to improve my language. This is what I try to do in Internet forums and with materials provided by EG1471. With enough practice I hope that my command of the language will get better.
Como Usar O Cheat Do Minecraft Education Edition
5 years ago

4 comments:
I believe that EG1471 module will definitely improve your command of English and it also exposes us to a widened scope of knowledge in writing good essays. It also acts as a steady platform in preparation for other modules that require good writing and analytical skills in the future. Keep up your consistent effort in work and you will reap benefits eventually.
Firstly, I do agree with you that practice is very important and useful. Secondly, I think I begin to understand how you can do so well with your English. I really need to learn from you more, to read frequently, write frequently, and accumulate the vocabulary through every day practice. Anyway, well done, and thank you for sharing the experiences. I think I do learn a lot~~~
It is quite interesting to study how you organize your ideas and present them in a organized way. Though you have listed your three weak areas, I think you have already had a good command of English. I can spot only one typo? In para 1, is it “thesis” rather than “theses”?
I like your effort in improving your language skills.
The points are well written and elaborated. The flow of ideas is smooth. I learn some efforts that can be done in order for me to improve my language skills as well.
Thanks ans well done.
Post a Comment